Sunday, January 22, 2012

Two Stamps Can Be Better Than One


Today I completed the second project from my online stamp carving class. The assignment was to make a pair of stamps that work together to create a two colored image.
The first thing I had to do was design a 1.5 by 1.5 inch square design. My design was a diagonal leaf.
After drawing the design in pencil I transferred it to two 1.5" square rubber blanks. The next step was to convert one leaf into the opposite of the other leaf by changing the negative space into the positive space.
Before carving the stamp, the design needed to be copied in pen so it wouldn't rub off during the carving process. After inking the design it was time to cut.
Finally, I was ready to stamp the design with an ink pad. One of the stamps printed beautifully but the stamp of the leaf's outline needed to be carved more deeply to avoid ink catching in the negative space.
When the revision was completed I began stamping, first with black ink, then with various green inks.
I like the stamps when stamped singly or in tandem, but I really like the way it works as a repeated pattern when stamped repeatedly.
I can't wait for project #3 to be revealed!