Saturday, January 21, 2012

Carving Out Something New


Part of the beauty of the internet is all the possibilities that it offers.
In the past decade or so, I've done so many different things online in the comfort of my own home and my favorite pajamas.
This year, I began taking art classes online.
The internet has made it possible to take classes taught by immensely talented artists with other students from all over the globe. My classroom at home allows me to access my stash(es) without needing to pack and shlep one of my extra large LLBean bags. I am in control of the music, the temperature, the lighting, the seating, and the schedule. And it allows me to create in my safety zone and not present my work until I am satisfied with it.
That being said, I was quite satisfied with my first project in Stamp Carving 101 being taught by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer. The first project was to carve a heart shaped stamp to get used to using the carving tools.
I was so excited after carving the heart that I couldn't delay printing until I found the archival black ink pad. Instead, I grabbed the white ink that was still in my workspace and stamped some heart and shipping tags. I think I did pretty well for a first try.